Weather Forecast


Cleanup begins after deadly Minneapolis tornado (video)

Jim Solien, right, is surrounded by downed trees in the 2800 block of Logan Ave. in Minneapolis Monday, May 23, 2011 following Sunday's tornado. City crews cleared debris block by block Monday as they tallied the number of north Minneapolis homes damaged by a tornado that killed one person and injured at least 29 others, Mayor R.T. Rybak said. (AP Photo/The Star Tribune, Jerry Holt)

MINNEAPOLIS - City crews cleared debris block by block Monday as they tallied the number of north Minneapolis homes damaged by a tornado that killed one person and injured at least 29 others, Mayor R.T. Rybak said.

Authorities imposed an overnight curfew over a four-square-mile area, including some of the city's poorest neighborhoods, to prevent looting and keep streets clear for emergency crews after the twister hit late Sunday. Rybak said one liquor store was looted right after the tornado hit and that a few burglaries took place overnight.

Police were still keeping nonresidents out of an "exclusion zone" in the hardest-hit areas. Off-ramps from Interstate 94 to north Minneapolis will be closed until further notice to reduce traffic in the damaged areas, police spokesman Sgt. William Palmer said.

"We're going to ask everyone who doesn't need to be in north Minneapolis to not be in north Minneapolis," Palmer said. "Please give us time to clean up. Please respect the police line, those check points."

The tornado ripped a nearly five-mile path from suburban St. Louis Park, where it hit a condo complex and two businesses, through north Minneapolis.

Residents of north Minneapolis describe tornado

Many streets remained impassible Monday due to the huge old trees uprooted by the tornado, and the many downed power lines. Many cars were crushed by falling trees, which also punched holes in the roofs of several houses. Many residents were walking around their shattered neighborhood in a daze, astonished at the devastation.

Gov. Mark Dayton planned to tour the area Monday morning, along with Rybak, U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar and U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison, who represents Minneapolis.

Seven schools in north Minneapolis and all Fridley public schools were closed Monday because of tornado damage.

More than 200 people stayed in a shelter set up at a Minneapolis armory after the storm left many homes inhabitable, Rybak said.

"This is a distressed neighborhood in the first place," said Lt. Gov. Yvonne Prettner Solon, who visited the shelter Sunday night. "These families are suffering a tremendous loss. They don't have the resources; they don't know what they're going to do."

Addie Smith, 49, returned to the scene Monday morning to survey the damage. He said he was watching his four children while their mother was at work when he looked out a window and saw the tornado bearing down on them a couple of blocks away. He said the basement was locked, so he herded three of the children, ages 4, 7 and 10, into a hallway. He said he then remembered his eight-month-old baby girl was still in the bedroom.

Debris was flying through the window as he went in. He said he put the baby on the flood and laid on top of her to defend her.

The house "shook really bad, like a bad roller-coaster ride. I thought the whole house was just going to come apart," Smith said.

The tornado ripped off part of the side of the house, exposing the staircase upstairs and filling it with debris. But neither Smith nor the children were injured. As he surveyed the damage afterward, his first thought was "how lucky we were. ... I thought we was going to die."

The four children spent the night at a hotel with their mother. Smith said they didn't want to go to the shelter because they wanted some privacy.

About 10,000 Xcel Energy customers were still without power Monday morning, spokeswoman Mary Sandok said. Xcel Energy expected to restore power to most by Monday night. About 22,000 customers in the Twin Cities lost power at the height of the storm.

Minneapolis city spokeswoman Sara Dietrich said the Hennepin County medical examiner confirmed one death. The victim's name was not immediately released. News reports said the victim was a man whose car was hit by a tree. Two of the 29 injured were hurt critically. Their conditions were not available Monday morning.

The Minneapolis tornado was part of a weather system that raked the metropolitan area from west to east on a swift march starting about 2:15 p.m. It was part of a larger outbreak through the central U.S. that included Joplin, Mo. - where dozens were killed - and La Crosse, Wis.

National Weather Service meteorologist Diane Cooper said damage assessment crews were out Monday trying to determine the number and strength of the tornadoes in Minnesota.


Associated Press writer Amy Forliti contributed to this report.