Weather Forecast



This is the records summary for Aug. 20.

Property damage

NEW LONDON — Property damage was reported around 7:40 p.m. Sunday along the 19000 block of 59th Street Northeast.


SPICER — The theft of money from a vehicle was reported around noon Monday along Lake Avenue South.

District Court

Kandiyohi County

n Karl Stephen Saint, 32, of Willmar, pleaded guilty and was sentenced Thursday on a gross misdemeanor charge of fourth-degree burglary.

He was sentenced to 180 days in jail, which was stayed, a $250 fine and two years of probation, along with orders to have no contact with the building owner or tenant and write an apology letter.

As part of a plea agreement, the charge was reduced from a felony third-degree level and two misdemeanor counts of theft of communication services and theft of computer services were dismissed.

The charges were filed in March, after an investigation revealed that that Saint entered the office of the Southern Minnesota Community Services, a division of the Minnesota Department of Human Services, which is located in a building where he rented an apartment in Willmar. Saint ran an ethernet cable from the office’s computer modem through the ceiling to the computer in his apartment and accessed internet services. Charter Communications notified the agency that unauthorized pornography had been accessed from their network. An employee with the office located the ethernet cable and followed it into Saint’s apartment.

n Desmond Jon Sweep, 30, of Maple Grove, made his first appearance Aug. 12 on a felony charge of terroristic threats for allegedly threatening to have a woman killed.

Unconditional bail was set at $50,000. His next appearance is Monday.

According to the complaint, a woman reported to Willmar Police on Aug. 8 that Sweep had been harassing her and that she’d told him to leave her home and that he was not welcomed there. The officer located Sweep and told him to have no contact with the woman.

The woman later reported to the officer that Sweep had driven his vehicle at her vehicle in a local store parking lot, nearly striking her vehicle, and then told her that he was “going to talk to someone and you won’t be alive” before driving away.

A passenger in the woman’s vehicle reported similar information to police.

Officers located Sweep, who said he was only parked in the parking lot and that he didn’t say anything to the woman, and arrested him.

n Nikkole Amber Perez, 20, of Willmar, made her first appearance Monday on felony charges of theft and offering a forged check.

She was released on her personal recognizance. Her next appearance is Sept. 3.

According to the complaint, officials at Rice Memorial Hospital reported to police on July 3 that Perez, an employee, had inadvertently received a check intended for another person named Nicole, and that Perez had cashed it at a local bank. The check was for $1,476.56.

The hospital had attempted to stop payment on the check, which had already been cashed, and had attempted to call Perez about the matter.

The bank officials said that the check was cashed by a woman, later identified as Perez by her driver’s license and by video footage, in the drive-thru window. Officials had taken her thumb print and had questioned the different name and address on the check. They said Perez had told them her name had been changed and that she’d moved.

Perez was interviewed and said she took the check and cashed it, but denied she was questioned by the bank officials and then said the bank folks were lying about it. She also denied that she’d received phone calls from hospital officials about the check.

n Dion Hernandez, 20, of Willmar, made his first appearance Monday on a second-degree assault charge and a gross misdemeanor count of carrying a gun in a public place for allegedly pulling a shotgun on a man on July 24 on a city street corner.

Unconditional bail was set at $30,000. His next appearance is Sept. 3.

Hernandez and Michael Gaylen Garcia, 16, of Willmar, are charged in the case. Garcia, who also faces a misdemeanor charge of careless driving, is scheduled to make his next appearance Sept. 24. Felony charges against 16- and 17-year-old juveniles are public record.

According to the court files, Willmar police were called around 4 p.m. July 24 to the intersection of 13th Street and Becker Avenue Southwest to investigate the incident. Witnesses had reported a description of the vehicle involved and then told the officers that the five individuals who were in the car were walking down 11th Street.

The officers located the five men and Garcia told them that they’d had a friendly chat with the people at the 13th Street/Becker Avenue location. He said there was a 12-gauge shotgun in the car and that he used it for hunting. He allegedly told officers that Hernandez had gotten the gun out, but held it low and denied pulling the weapon on anyone.

Hernandez said there was a verbal confrontation with the man over destroyed property, but denied having a shotgun.

The man who had been assaulted reported that a car had driven up quickly and that the driver, Garcia, and Hernandez got out of the vehicle, with Hernandez leveling the gun at his chest with the muzzle about two feet away from his body. The man said that both Hernandez and Garcia were yelling and screaming at him.

Several witnesses had observed the altercation and got the license plate and vehicle and personal description of the men. The registered owner of the car allowed police to search the car, where they located a Winchester 12-gauge shotgun in an unzipped case.

n Francisco Fredrick Galvan, 32, of Willmar, made his first appearance Monday on a felony charge of financial card transaction fraud for his role in making fraudulent charges on a woman’s debit card.

Unconditional bail was set at $15,000. His next appearance is Sept. 17.

According to the complaint, a woman reported to Willmar police on July 21 that she’d forgotten her debit card at a local gas station and that when she went back to the store, video footage showed a man taking the card. There were multiple fraudulent charges on the card.

Video footage at several local businesses showed two men using the card to make $1,100 in purchases. Two people reported that the men had offered them liquor to drive them around to the stores. Information was later sent to the police department that Galvan had used the card to make an online purchase of a cell phone, which was delivered to an address where he had been living.