Prep Tennis: Willmar stays unbeaten with 5-2 win
ST. CLOUD -- The Willmar boys tennis team improved to 3-0 overall and 2-0 in the Central Lakes Conference with a 5-2 win over St. Cloud Apollo Thursday.
The Cardinals won three of four singles matches and two doubles matches.
"I was happy with how all three doubles team performed," said Willmar coach Loren Holter. "They are relatively new combinations, so I was happy to see 2 and 3 close it out with wins."
Jim Neis, Mitch Fader and Evan Armstrong won singles points for the Cardinals. Matt Horning-Aaron Sagedahl and Landon Peterson-Mark Dunham won doubles matches.
Willmar 5, SC Apollo 2
(1) Jim Neis, Wil, def. Kevin McGuire 6-4, 6-2 (2) Ian Johnson, SCA, def. Trent Fader 6-3, 4-6, 6-1 (3) Mitch Fader, Wil, def. Thomas Pollries 6-2, 6-1 (4) Evan Armstrong, Wil, def. Zack Hogarth 6-1, 6-3
(1) Jens Klienpachter-Brent Schoepf, SCA, def. Chris VanDoren-Ryan Sheehan 6-4, 6-4 (2) Matt Horning-Aaron Sagedahl, Wil, def. Tom Anderson-Michael Baumann 6-2, 6-0 (3) Landon Peterson-Mark Dunham, Wil, def. Mitch Krueger-Cully Bowe 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
Litchfield 4, Mound-Westonka 3
Aaron Carlson and Zach Fredman at 1-doubles clinched the winning point for the Dragons with a 6-3, 7-5 win.
Mark Hukriede at 1-singles, Dominic Devine at 3-singles and Brennan Rosenau-Will Heidgerken at 2-doubles also won for the Dragons in their season opener.
(1) Mark Hukriede, Lit, def. Tyler Eckstrom 6-0, 6-3 (2) Matt Stahlke, MW, def. Zach Hedtke 7-5, 6-1 (3) Dominic Devine, Lit, def. Michael Foerster 6-2, 7-5 (4) Arend Turner, MW, def. Nate Adams 6-2, 6-1
(1) Aaron Carlson-Zach Fredman, Lit, def. Tanner Botts-Will Griffith 6-3, 7-5 (2) Brennan Rosenau-Will Heidgerken, Lit, def. Chase Hicks-Cole Easley 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 (3) Andy Walsh-Billy Graham, MW, def. Jacob Hughes-John Sufka 6-1, 2-6, 6-0
Foley 7, YME 0
Yellow Medicine East's boys' tennis team dropped its first home match of the season Thursday, failing to win a single match against Foley.
For the majority of competion, YME failed to win more than three points in a set, excluding Brady Hanes' 7-5, 6-0 defeat of Seth Smiglewski in singles.
Foley's Brandon Stevens and Kirby Seppelt defeated both of their opponents in singles competition with scores of 6-0, 6-1.
(1) Nick Jansen, Fol, def. Cameron Zems 6-2, 6-1 (2) Brady Hanes, Fol, def. Seth Smiglewski 7-5, 6-0 (3) Brandon Stevens, Fol, def. Tyler Kotlowski 6-0, 6-1 (4) Kirby Seppelt, Fol., def. Andy Waller 6-0, 6-1
(1) Aaron Zimmer-Walker Zabloski, Fol, def. Stan Benson-Ethan Ator 6-3, 6-0 (2) Steven Dotzler-Ben Hageman, Fol, def. Carter Iverson-Clinton Repscher 6-0, 6-1 (3) Patrick Latterel-Sam Ehernman def. Jordan Iverson-David Nowacki 6-3, 6-0