Weather Forecast


Packers lose Rodgers, game

Reuters Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers is helped up by offensive tackle Don Barclay after getting sacked in the first quarter during the Packers’ game against the Chicago Bears on Monday at Lambeau Field in Green Bay. Rodgers was hurt on the play and had to leave the game.

GREEN BAY, Wis. — The Chicago Bears knocked out Aaron Rodgers and moved into a first-place tie in the NFC North by beating the Green Bay Packers 27-20 at Lambeau Field on Monday night.

Rodgers hurt his left collarbone when sacked by defensive end Shea McClellin on the Packers’ opening possession. Rodgers stepped up in the pocket and moved to his right, with McClellin getting off right tackle Don Barclay’s block. Rodgers hit the turf hard, landing on his left (non-throwing) shoulder as McClellin and cornerback Isaiah Frey took him down.

A Chicago radio reporter said sources told him Rodgers broken his collarbone.

Without Rodgers and Chicago quarterback Jay Culter, who sat out due to a groin injury, the game became a battle of journeymen backup quarterbacks. Seneca Wallace, 33, replaced Rodgers, and Josh McCown, 34, got the start in place of Cutler.

McCown completed 22 of 41 passes for 272 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. Wallace finished 11-for-19 for 114 yards with one interception.

Chicago, which entered the night with six consecutive losses in the series, joins Green Bay and the Detroit Lions atop the NFC North. All three are 5-3.

The Bears scored the game’s final 14 points.

Chicago recaptured the lead, 24-20, on a drive set up by Devin Hester’s 23-yard punt return. On second-and-goal at the 6, McCown threw a jump ball to receiver Alshon Jeffery, who used his size and strong hands to prevent cornerback Davon House from ripping away the ball in the end zone with less than three minutes left in the third quarter.

Chicago then turned to its defense, which entered the night ranked 29th in scoring and on pace to allow the most points in franchise history. The Packers’ ensuing possession crossed midfield but stalled when Julius Peppers deflected a third-and-5 pass. Green Bay’s next possession reached the Bears’ 40 with a third-and-3 but McClellin tripped up Wallace for a sack.

Bears coach Marc Trestman made a gutsy decision midway through the fourth quarter. Facing fourth-and-inches from his 32, he called a timeout and kept his offense on the field. Running back Matt Forte (24 carries, 125 yards) gained 3, but only because lead-blocking fullback Tony Fiammetta stopped, took a step back and blocked A.J. Hawk, who was in position to make the tackle in the backfield.

When McCown hit Brandon Marshall (seven catches, 107 yards) for 11 on third-and-6, it allowed the Bears to burn even more clock. Then, after the two-minute warning, Forte converted a third-and-3 with an 8-yard run. Robbie Gould’s 27-yard field goal capped a killer 18-play drive that consumed 8:58 and pushed the advantage to 27-20 with 50 seconds left.