- Member for
- 5 years 8 months
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The weather forecast for this winter is mostly a shrug of the shoulders. For most of the nation, the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration predicts equal chances for unusual warmth, cold, snow, rain and even average weather.
FLORENCE, Italy (AP) -- Chrysler won't be offering its stock for sale on the public markets this year. Italian automaker Fiat SpA, Chrysler's majority owner, said in a statement Monday that Chrysler's board has determined an initial public offering is "not practicable" in 2013. Instead, Chrysler Group LLC will continue work on the offering so it can happen in the first quarter of next year, the statement said. Fiat owns 58.5 percent of Chrysler's shares, with the remaining 41.5 percent held by a United Auto Workers union trust fund that pays health care bills for blue-collar retirees.
<p>BENTONVILLE, Ark. (AP) -- Wal-Mart Stores CEO and President Mike Duke plans to step down Feb. 1. The company says Doug McMillon, head of international operations, will succeed him.</p> <p>Duke, 63, who had been with Wal-Mart since 1995, had been at the helm since February 2009. Duke will stay on as chairman.
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Police say a lone gunman opened fire on a Minneapolis restaurant, killing one person and injuring three others. Officers were called to the La Que Buena restaurant about 1:30 a.m. Monday and found three victims. One person was pronounced dead at the scene and two others were transported to Hennepin County Medical Center.
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Prosecutors in Ramsey County are seeking a 30-year prison term for the man convicted of killing his wife and dumping her body in the Mississippi River. Sentencing guidelines call for a maximum 15 years in prison. Jeffery Trevino is scheduled to be in court Monday afternoon for sentencing.
MINNEAPOLIS — Vern Mikkelsen, a Hall of Fame basketball player who won four NBA titles with the Minneapolis Lakers, has died. He was 85. Mikkelsen died on Thursday night surrounded by family, the Los Angeles Lakers announced on Friday.
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Minnesota Vikings said Friday they will increase their contribution to a new stadium to more than $500 million to make sure the project has everything they want. The team had been scheduled to pay $477 million of the stadium's nearly billion-dollar cost. But bids coming in higher than expected made the Vikings worry about losing distinctive design features and having to settle for less than top-end technology, such as ribbon scoreboards and high-definition televisions in concourses.
ST. LOUIS PARK, Minnesota (AP) — Rescuers worked frantically to free five children trapped in a submerged car after it veered off a highway ramp in suburban Minneapolis and into a frigid pond, smashing windows to get inside even as a tow truck winched the car out. One of the children, 5-year-old Zenavia Rennie, later died, the Minnesota State Patrol said.
ST. LOUIS PARK, Minn. (AP) — A car veered off a rain-slicked highway ramp in suburban Minneapolis early Thursday, landing in a nearby holding pond and trapping five children underwater for several minutes until a tow truck could pull it out, authorities said.
WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Democrats eased the way for swift approval of President Barack Obama's current and future nominees on Thursday, voting unilaterally to overturn decades of Senate precedent and undermine Republicans' ability to block final votes. The 52-48 vote to undercut venerable filibuster rules on presidential appointees capped more than a decade of struggle in which presidents of both parties complained about delays in confirming appointees, particularly to the federal courts. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who launched the move, accused Republicans of "unbelievable, unp