(May 22, 2019)
BOARD OF EDUCATION
Willmar Public Schools ISD 347
Willmar, MN 56201
Minutes of the Regular School Board Meeting
on April 8, 2019
Regular Board Meeting called to order by Chair, Mike Reynolds, at 4:30 p.m.
Members Present: Mary Amon, Mike Reynolds, Scott Thaden, Michael OBrien, Tammy Barnes, Jay Lawton, Justin Bos arrived at 4:34 p.m.
Motion by Tammy Barnes, seconded by Jay Lawton, to approve the agenda. Motion carried.
Motion by Tammy Barnes, seconded by Mary Amon, to approve the Consent Agenda. Motion carried.
Minutes of the Board Work Session on March 11, 2019 and Regular Board Meeting on March 11, 2019.
Payment of Bills and Wire Transfers for period ending March 31, 2019; totaling $3,220,493.18.
Mathew Hansen, Food Service Assistant, Kennedy (3/12/19) Replacement
Vicki Henle, Parent Educator (200 hours per year), Jefferson, Reappointed for 2019-20
Sarah Jagow, Communications Instructor, MS ALC Program, (3/19/19) New Position
Debbie Johnson, Food Service Assistant, Roosevelt (3/19/19) Replacement
Alexa Martinez, Special Education Paraprofessional, Lakeland (2/27/19) Replacement
Tim Whittemore, IT Technician, Roosevelt (3/11/19) Replacement
Paul Hastings, Custodian Lakeland to Second Shift Custodian, Middle School (4/8/19) Replacement
Traci Jacobs, Title I Instructor, Kennedy to Elementary Instructor, Kennedy (2019-2020 School Yr)
Alissa Platt, Elementary Instructor, Lakeland to Preschool Instructor, Lakeland (2019-2020 School Yr)
Dan O'Malley, Lakeland 2nd Shift to Lakeland Night Foreman (4/8/19) Replacement
Tanner Soupir, Title I Instructor, Kennedy to Elementary Instructor, Kennedy (2019-2020 School Yr)
Nic Thissen, Second Shift Custodian, Senior High to Second Shift Custodian Lakeland (4/8/19) Replacement
Megan Anderson, Assistant Track Coach (3/22/19) Replacement
Barb Eilers, Assistant Track Coach (3/8/19) Replacement
Brad Foss, Assistant Track Coach (3/8/19) Replacement
Greta Marti, SWAT Coach (3/21/19) Replacement
Manny Obregon, Assistant Boys Tennis Coach (3/8/19) Replacement
Shannon Anderson, Library Clerical Paraprofessional, Middle School Adjust Return Date to (4/1/19)
Patricia Goosmann, Library Clerical Paraprofessional, Lakeland (3/14/19-5/1/19)
Mary Guzman, Bilingual Paraprofessional, Kennedy (4/10/19-4/29/19)
Joe Kuehn, Elementary Instructor, Roosevelt (3/19/19-3/25/19)
Rachel Moorhouse, Elementary Instructor, Lakeland (3/12/19-3/29/19)
Rikka Williamson, Elementary Instructor, Lakeland (Approx. 8/12/19-10/14/19)
Ann Davidson, Kindergarten Instructor Kennedy Change end date to 7/3/19
Sara Fuentes, Custodian, Middle School (4/5/19)
Suzanne Kuehnast, Special Education Paraprofessional, Kennedy (3/13/19)
Laurie Sebey, Food Service Assistant, Middle School (3/29/19)
Crystal Swierenga, Special Education Paraprofessional, Roosevelt (4/9/19)
Anastasia Pederson, ESL Instructor, Senior High (Completion of the 2018-19 School Year)
Deborah Hanson, Special Education Paraprofessional, Senior High (4/19/19)
Neil Schendel, Assistant Principal, Senior High (6/30/19)
Carl Shuldes, Social Studies Instructor, Senior High Adjust end date to completion of 2018-19 School Yr
Annual Compliance Overview
American Indian Parent Advisory Committee (AIPAC) Resolution
Justin Bos arrived at 4:34 p.m.
1. Business and Finance Mrs. Harrington reported enrollment of 4,322 students as of April 5th. This is 75 students higher than last year but 10 students less than last month.
2. Human Resources Ms. Fischer reported staffing for 19-20 is ongoing with offers being made.
3. Teaching & Learning Mrs. Thomas reported the Music & Art curriculum review process is up to the selection step. Musical instruments are being purchased along with a lot of art equipment. Social Studies and physical education departments begin their curriculum review cycle this spring.
4. Superintendent Dr. Holm reported on April 17th the Commissioner of Education, Mary Cathryn Ricker, will be visiting Lakeland Elementary. Dr. Holm reminded the board that school will end May 31st for students and June 3rd for teachers. Snow days have been forgiven. Dr. Holm walked the board through an activity regarding material the board read from the book "How Not to Be a Terrible School Board Member" by Richard E. Mayer.
1. Accepting Gifts/Donations Motion by Jay Lawton, seconded by Tammy Barnes, to accept the donations from Willmar Noon Kiwanis ($1,250 Key Club), Willmar Takedown Club ($1,100 Fund a 3rd Coach in MS), Willmar HS Hockey ($1,516.00 Fund Hockey Coaches), 100 Yard Club ($5,000 Football Uniforms). Motion carried with a 7-0 roll call vote. (A copy of the Resolution is available in the District Office)
2. District Health Insurance Plan Motion by Scott Thaden, seconded by Justin Bos, to approve 2019-20 District Health Insurance Plan. Motion carried with a 7-0 vote.
3. Nonrenewal of Probationary Teachers Motion by Justin Bos, seconded by Scott Thaden, to approve the Resolution Relating to the Nonrenewal of Probationary Teachers. Motion carried with a 7-0 vote. (A copy of the Resolution is available in the District Office)
DISCUSSION ITEMS - None
BOARD COMMITTEE REPORTS
Buildings & Grounds Committee (3-14-19)
Policy Committee (3-15-19)
The Board thanked the students for their participation and great behavior during the music trip.
ADJOURN Motion to adjourn by Tammy Barnes, adjourned at 5:07 p.m.