(August 20, 2019) BOARD OF EDUCATION Willmar Public Schools – ISD 347 Willmar, MN 56201 Minutes of the Regular School Board Meeting on July 8, 2019 Regular Board Meeting called to order by Chair, Mike Reynolds, at 4:30 p.
(August 20, 2019)
Willmar Public Schools – ISD 347
Willmar, MN 56201
Minutes of the Regular School Board Meeting on July 8, 2019
Regular Board Meeting called to order by Chair, Mike Reynolds, at 4:30 p.m.
Members Present: Jay Lawton, Mike Reynolds, Justin Bos, Tammy Barnes and Michael O’Brien
Members Absent: Mary Amon, Scott Thaden
PUBLIC COMMENTS RELATED TO AGENDA ITEMS - None
Motion by Jay Lawton, seconded by Tammy Barnes, to approve the agenda. Motion carried with a 5-0 vote.
Motion by Tammy Barnes, seconded by Justin Bos, to approve the Consent Agenda. Motion carried with a
Minutes of Regular Board Meeting on June 10, 2019 and Special School Board Meeting on June 12, 2019.
Payment of Bills and Wire Transfers for period ending June 30, 2019; totaling $3,713,281.64.
Emily Anderson, Communications Instructor, Middle School (2019-20 School Yr) Replacement
John M Bobbe, FACS Instructor, Senior High (2019-20 School Yr) New Position
Kathryn Freeman, Elementary Music Instructor, Lakeland (2019-20 School Yr) Replacement
Jennifer Larson, Title I Instructor, Kennedy (2019-20 School Yr) Replacement
Randi Larson, Title I Instructor, Lakeland (2019-20 School Yr) Replacement
Michael Miller, Elementary Instructor, Lakeland (2019-20 School Yr) Replacement
Bethany Roisland, Library Media Instructor, Roosevelt (2019-20 School Yr) Replacement
Rachel Smilovici, Special Education Instructor, Kennedy (2019-20 School Yr) Replacement
Summer Spence, English Language Arts Instructor (2019-20 School Yr) Replacement
Michelle Stack, Special Education Instructor, Roosevelt (2019-20 School Yr) Replacement
Savannah Walsh, SEAT Team, Kennedy (2019-20 School Yr) Replacement
Nick Clasemann, Science Instructor, Middle School to Principal of Alternative Learning (7/1/19) Replacement
Joe Kuehn, Elementary Instructor, Roosevelt to Science Instructor Middle School (2019-20 School Yr) Replacement
Amy Mortensen Level II Secretary to Level I Secretary Senior High adjust hire date to (6/3/19)
Trevor Rodgers from Cardinal Place Site Supervisor to Special Education Paraprofessional, Roosevelt (8/28/19) Replacement
Richard Courtney, Assistant Boys Soccer Coach (3/8/19) Replacement
Shannon Anderson, Library Clerical Paraprofessional, Middle School (9/3/19-11/3/19)
Christine Lindgren, Second Cook, Middle School (9/17/19-12/10/19)
Tina Myers, Elementary Instructor, Kennedy (6/25/19)
Abdimudin Mohamed, Bilingual Paraprofessional, Lakeland (6/18/19)
JoAnn Monson, Secretary, PLS (7/11/19)
Hannah Nelson, Special Education Paraprofessional, Kennedy (6/19/19)
William Woods, Maintenance Supervisor, District Wide (8/21/19)
Jim Anderson, Boys Tennis Coach (6/10/19)
Todd Lynum, AP Coordinator, Senior High (6/10/19)
David Vinje, Head Girls Soccer Coach (6/11/19)
David Vinje, Head Speech Coach (6/11/19)
Tara Woltjer, Cross Country, Middle School (6/13/19)
MSHSL Membership for 2018-2019
Award Bid for Milk and Related Products to Kemps, LLC for the 2019-20 school year.
1. Business and Finance – None
2. Human Resources – Ms. Fischer updated the board about the wage theft law that went into effect July 1, 2019. The law requires specific information be reported on employee paystubs. In addition, when employees are hired a form with very detailed wage and benefit information must be presented to and signed by the employee. Due to the reporting requirements, the District is considering insourcing filling teacher substitute rolls using Teachers On Call.
3. Teaching & Learning – Mrs. Thomas reported the new Teacher Induction will be held August 21st-23rd. The new teachers will have time to work in their buildings during this time. On August 28th, Manny Scott will be our Back to School speaker presenting on the Power of One.
4. Superintendent - Dr. Holm reported he will be attending the National AASA Certification program the rest of this week. A representative from the Minnesota School Boards Association (MSBA) will come to the September and October work sessions to train the board in a new Superintendent evaluation model.
1. Ten-Year Long Term Facility Maintenance Revenue Plan, Expenditures and Statement of Assurances – Motion by Tammy Barnes, seconded by Jay Lawton, to approve the Long-Term Facility Maintenance Ten Year Plan for its facilities for 2019-2020. Motion carried with 5-0 vote.
2. Revised Substitute Rates – Motion by Jay Lawton, seconded by Justin Bos, to approve substitute rates as presented. Motion carried with a 4-1 vote. (Tammy Barnes voting against)
3. Accepting Gifts/Donations – Motion by Tammy Barnes, seconded by Justin Bos, to accept the donation from Anonymous ($150 – Support Fundraising Efforts of Lakeland Elementary). Motion carried with a 5-0 vote. (A copy of the Resolution is available in the District Office)
1. Potential Partnership with SW/WC Service Cooperative -
Cliff Carmody, SW/WC Cooperative and Kim Barse, ORB were present. Mike Reynolds reported that the Buildings and Grounds Committee have considered ways to add a gym to the middle school along with some space for the Middle School ALC. The SW/WC Cooperative is looking for a new space for the North Central Learning Center which is currently located at MinnWest Technology Campus. It provides Level IV services to students. A partnership is being considered regarding facility space and programming that could benefit both groups. The board encouraged administration to continue exploring the details that could move the partnership forward.
PUBLIC COMMENTS RELATED TO NON AGENDA ITEMS – None
BOARD COMMITTEE REPORTS
Buildings and Grounds (7-2-19)
ADJOURN–Meeting was adjourned at 5:39 p.m.