(February 12, 2020) BOARD OF EDUCATION Willmar Public Schools – ISD 347 Willmar, MN 56201 Minutes of the Regular School Board Meeting on January 13, 2020.
(February 12, 2020)
BOARD OF EDUCATION
Willmar Public Schools – ISD 347
Willmar, MN 56201
Minutes of the Regular School Board Meeting on January 13, 2020.
Regular Board Meeting called to order by Chair, Mike Reynolds, at 4:33 p.m.
Members Present: Mary Amon, Mike Reynolds, Michael O’Brien, Jay Lawton, Justin Bos, Scott Thaden
Members Absent: Tammy Barnes
No Work Session in January
Regular Board Meeting – February 3, 2020 at the WEAC Board Room
PUBLIC COMMENTS RELATED TO AGENDA ITEMS - None
Motion by Jay Lawton, seconded by Mary Amon, to approve the agenda. Motion carried with a 6-0 vote.
Motion by Justin Bos, seconded by Scott Thaden, to approve the Consent Agenda. Motion carried with
a 6-0 vote.
Minutes of the Regular School Board Meeting on December 9, 2019.
Payment of Bills and Wire Transfers for period ending December 31, 2019; totaling $3,462,860.99.
Paw Eh, Bilingual Paraprofessional, Senior High (12/10/19) Replacement
Tania Garcia, Food Service Assistant Middle School (12/17/19) Replacement
Victori Jewel, Food Service Assistant, Middle School (12/10/19) Replacement
Matilyn Johnson, Special Education Paraprofessional (01/07/19) Replacement
Carlie Klein, Special Education Paraprofessional, Lakeland (01/07/20) Replacement
Gary Lindblad, Second Shift Custodian, Senior High (12/10/19) Replacement
Emily Naber, Interventionist, Roosevelt (01/07/20) Replacement
Jenny Raitz, Registrar Secretary, Senior High (01/07/20) Replacement
Renee Villarreal, Bilingual Paraprofessional, Senior High (01/07/20) Replacement
Joe Woltjer, Second Shift Custodian, Senior High (12/10/19) Replacement
Mohamed Yusuf, Bilingual Paraprofessional, Roosevelt (01/07/20) Replacement
Daniela Maldonado Zepeda, Library Clerical Paraprofessional, Roosevelt (01/07/20) Replacement
Diana Torres from Bilingual Paraprofessional to Cultural Liaison, Roosevelt (11/4/19)
Julene Haugen, Communications Instructor, Middle School (1/8/20- End of 19-20 School Year)
Jennifer Hess, Guidance Counselor, Senior High (3/19/20-6/11/20)
Christine Hunt, Special Education Paraprofessional, Senior High (12/17/19-1/6/20)
Stephanie Runia, Elementary Instructor, Lakeland (Approx 5/4/20 - TBD)
Camryn Sells, Social Studies Instructor, Senior High (3/30/20 - 5/4/20)
Anna Zieske, Math Instructor, Senior High (Approx 04/13/20 - 6/4/20)
Kay Dann, Cardinal Place Activity Leader (12/20/19)
Paw Da Eh, Bilingual Paraprofessional, Senior High (12/12/19)
Shelly Hess, Registrar, Senior High (01/10/20)
Stacey Hillerud, School Readiness Paraprofessional, Kennedy (1/10/20)
Charlene (Penny) Johnson, Food Service Assistant, Kennedy (12/5/19)
Jaculin McCann, Special Education Paraprofessional, Lakeland (12/17/19)
Kate McNamara, Library Clerical Paraprofessional, Lakeland (01/07/20)
Genesis Mireles, Library Clerical Paraprofessional, Roosevelt (12/19/19)
Janet Moon, Special Education Paraprofessional, Kennedy (12/16/19)
Kaitlyn Swanson, Library Media Specialist, Kennedy (Completion of 2019-20 School Year)
Sheryl Pederson, School Social Worker, Senior High (Completion of 2019-20 School Year)
Mark Sommers, Social Studies Instructor, ALC (06/04/20)
1. Business and Finance – Mrs. Harrington reported enrollment of 4,317 students as of January 10th. A student activity budget will be included in the revised budget.
2. Human Resources – Ms. Fischer reported 12 people were hired over winter break. As of January 1, 2020, W-4 forms have changed. Every employee does not need to fill out new forms unless they are making a change. Ms. Fischer is working on costing models for the upcoming non-certified contract negotiations.
3. Teaching & Learning – Mrs. Thomas reported that the administration is working through the New Art and Science of Teaching by Robert J. Morzano. Staff in-service will be January 20th for professional development.
4. Superintendent – Dr. Holm reported that February 17th will be a snow day make up due to a snow day that occurred in November. MSBA Leadership Conference is this week. Dr. Holm showed the board some preliminary schematic designs for the proposed middle school addition.
Minnesota Community Education Association Project Award – Dolf Moon recognized Willmar Community Education for the College YES program.
1. Hiring Construction Management pending Attorney Contract Review – Motion by Scott Thaden, seconded by Jay Lawton to approve hiring construction management pending Attorney Contract Review. Motion carried with a 6-0 vote.
2. Approval to Seek Bids – Motion by Mary Amon, seconded by Jay Lawton, to seek bids for ALC Fire Sprinklers and Tuckpointing, Senior High Pavement/Concrete, Senior High Industrial Arts Classroom Upgrades, Senior High Pod/Corridor Renovation. Motion carried with a 6-0 vote.
3. Designation of Identified Official with Authority for the MDE External User Access Recertification System
The Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) requires that school districts annually designate an Identified Official with Authority to comply with State Access Control Security Standard 1.0 which states that all user access rights to Minnesota state systems must be reviewed and recertified at least annually. The Identified Official with Authority will assign job duties and authorize external user’s access to MDE secure systems for their local education agency (LEA).
Motion by Scott Thaden, seconded by Justin Bos to authorize Jeffrey Holm to act as the Identified Official with Authority (IOwA) and Cindy Terrones to act as the IOwA to add and remove names only for Willmar Public School District 0347-01. Motion carried with a 6-0 vote.
4. Accepting Gifts/Donations – Motion by Justin Bos, seconded by Michael O’Brien, to accept the donations from Megan Erickson ($20 – Key Club), Willmar Area Community Foundation ($1,000 – “Seeds of Change” Support), Jennie-O ($1,000 – 2701 Student Activity Fund), Winged Foot Running Club ($9,000 – uniforms), West Central Hockey, LLC ($4,000 – Skate sharpeners for Boys and Girls Hockey), 100 Yard Club ($2,500 – Football uniforms), Tom and Cindy Geiger ($1,000 – Costa Rica Trip, financial assistance for students in need), Sons of Norway ($100 – Nordic Ski Team), Willmar Noon Lions ($632 value – 2701 Student Activity Fund), Kenneth and Anita Flowe ($50 – 2701 Student Activity Fund), Karen and Thomas Corneil ($20 – 2701 Student Activity Fund), Kendall Fenstra ($20 – 2701 Student Activity Fund), Ford Motor Company/Latitude Digital ($5,580 – 2701 Student Activity Fund), Anonymous ($20 – “Kindness of Her Heart” Mighty Cause Charitable Foundation), 8th Street Photography, LLP ($563.60 value – Winter Sports Pictures), Willmar Public Schools Foundation ($522.02 and $375.59 – Busing for Kennedy Kindergarten to Nelson Farms and Busing for Roosevelt Kindergarten to Nelson Farms), Willmar Public Schools Foundation ($20 – Middle School Girl’s Athletics), Debi Brandt ($4,046 value – Donated services to teach CPR AID Class). Motion carried with a 6-0 roll call vote. (A copy of the Resolution is available in the District Office)
PUBLIC COMMENTS RELATED TO NON AGENDA ITEMS – None
BOARD COMMITTEE REPORTS - None
ADJOURN – Motion to adjourn by Scott Thaden, seconded by Mary Amon. Meeting was adjourned at 5:12 p.m.