Holiday events listing published Dec. 21, 2022
The holiday season brings many special festivities. From family gatherings to school concerts and church programs, there are many events in which people may choose to participate. Listed are several concerts, festivals and other public activities set for the coming weeks.
The holiday season brings many special festivities. From family gatherings to school concerts and church programs, there are many events in which people may choose to participate. Listed are the final events scheduled for 2022.
Through Dec. 30
* A festival of trees will be on display in the Barn Theatre event center. The trees have been decorated by businesses, organizations and individuals; open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Friday.
Through Dec. 31
* The “Celebrate the Light of the World” drive-thru lighted display is open from 5 to 10 p.m. daily at Robbins Island in Willmar. Nonprofits benefiting from the freewill donations are the Kandiyohi County Food Shelf, The Salvation Army of Willmar, United Way of West Central Minnesota and Habitat for Humanity of West Central Minnesota.
* A "Blue Christmas" church service will be at 7 p.m. at First Lutheran Church of Norway Lake, west of New London. Held on the longest night of the year, this is a service acknowledging loss, including prayers for healing and hope. Folks looking for comfort, hope, wholeness and renewal are invited to this time of quiet reflection, scripture, prayer, music and Holy Communion. Light refreshments will be served following the service. Everyone is welcome.
* The annual Lillejulaften (Little Christmas Eve) Norwegian language worship service will be at 7 p.m. at Calvary Lutheran Church, 302 Olena Ave. in Willmar. The service will feature Norwegian scripture readings, prayers and songs. The service folder will be in Norwegian with a full English translation. Those with Norwegian sweaters and/or bunads are asked to wear them.
* The Southwest Minnesota State University planetarium presents the “Star of Wonder” holiday laser light show at 7 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. Saturday at the planetarium, located in SM 108 on the Marshall campus, seats 82 people. Admission is $5, available only at the door.
* Christmas in the Barn at Dale and Debbie Tonsfeldt farm, 13200 15th Street SE, Blomkest. The 9 a.m. Svea Lutheran Church service will include singing and a live nativity. Everyone is welcome, please dress warmly.
* The Willmar Public Library will have a Pajama-Rama storytime at 6:30 p.m. Come in your pajamas, bring a blanket and listen to stories followed by milk and cookies before going home to bed.