Holiday events set for this weekend in area
The holiday season brings many special festivities. Listed are events set for this weekend.
Saturday, Dec. 14
* The 68th annual St. Lucia breakfast will be from 6 to 9:30 a.m. at First Lutheran Church in Litchfield. Adults $8, ages 6 to 10 years $5, under 6 eat free.
* The New London Senior Citizens will have a Christmas bake and craft sale from 8 a.m. to noon at the Senior Center in New London.
* The Kandiyohi County Historical Society Museum, 610 Business Highway 71 N.E. in Willmar, will have “Toyland at the Museum” open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. “Christmas at Sperry House” will be open in the partially restored 1893 home. The home is decorated for Christmas and the tree displays a variety of 1800s (Victorian) ornaments. Admission is $3 for adults, kids 12 and under are free.
* The second annual Meeker County Museum Christmas tree village with trees decorated by Meeker County organizations, open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday; $3.
* The annual “Tuba Christmas” concert will be performed at 1 p.m. in the Student Center lobby at Southwest Minnesota State University in Marshall.
* The annual Christmas program will be held at the Historic Salem Community Church, four miles north of Paynesville. Sleigh rides with real reindeer will be given from 3 to 4:15 p.m., followed by the program at 4:30 p.m. Refreshments will be served following the program. Bring a non-perishable food item and/or a toy that will be delivered to the Paynesville Community Center; freewill donation for the restoration and upkeep of Salem church and cemetery.
* The Holiday Express 18-Wheeler presented by the Kandiyohi Men’s Club and the Atwater Chamber will make five stops tonight. The schedule is 5:15 p.m. at the Lake Region Bank in Sunburg, 6 p.m. on First Avenue S.E. in New London, 6:45 p.m. at the Green Lake Mall in Spicer, 7:30 p.m. at the Kandiyohi Civic Center and 8:15 p.m.at the YMCA in Willmar.
* The Litchfield Downtown Council Inc. presents a Christmas Gala beginning at 6 p.m. at the Litchfield Opera House with appetizers and holiday music. David K as Roy Orbison and band members perform Roy tribute hits mixed with rockabilly Christmas tunes; $20 main floor, $10 balcony, call 320-221-5781 for tickets.
* The 34th annual Springfield Nativity Pageant will be at 7 p.m. at Riverside Park in Springfield. The live pageant is presented outdoors and features a community choir and a live manger scene including camels. Dress for the weather. Admission is free.
* The Southwest Minnesota State University planetarium presents the “Star of Wonder” Christmas show at 7 p.m. The planetarium, located in SM 108 on the Marshall campus, seats 82 people. Admission is $5; www.smsu.edu/planetarium.
Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 14 and 15
* The “Celebrate the Light of the World” will be open from 5 to 10 p.m. daily at Robbins Island in Willmar. This year’s non-profits benefiting from the free will donations are The Salvation Army of Willmar, Habitat for Humanity of West Central Minnesota, Kandiyohi County Food Shelf and The Link in New London.
* The Roger Mitteness farm south of Benson welcomes you to drive in and see the holiday lights up close between 5:30 and 10:30 p.m. daily. The address is 525 20th Ave. S.E.; four miles south of Benson on Highway 29, turn left on 50th Avenue, go one mile east and turn right (south) onto 20th Avenue.
* The Barn Theatre presents “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” at 7:30 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the theater in downtown Willmar; adults $20 and students $10. Box office open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays, call 320-235-9500; 321 Fourth St. S.W., Willmar or visit thebarntheatre.com.
* The 55th annual Night of Music, “The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey,” will be presented at 7 p.m. Saturday and 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Assembly of God Church in Willmar. Tickets are free, but required, and available at the church or online at www.willmarag.org/events. A freewill offering will benefit Wings of Hope.
Sunday, Dec. 15
* A Christmas choir concert “God Came Near” will be at 3 p.m. at Faith Lutheran Church in Spicer to benefit the Link. The concert will feature the choirs from New London and Spicer area churches. Donations to the Link will be accepted.
* The Christmas Voices of Renville County will present a Christmas Cantata at 4 p.m. at Emden Reform Church in Renville. “And on Earth Peace” will be performed by 61 singers from throughout Renville County. Freewill donation will go to Santa’s Closet and the Renville County Food Shelf; refreshments to follow the program.
* The Dawson-Boyd Arts Association present “The Nutcracker Ballet” by the Continental Ballet at 3 p.m. in Memorial Auditorium in Dawson; adults $15, students $5, call 320-312-2311 or at the door.