WILLMAR - A house on Willmar's north side was damaged Tuesday morning by a fire that broke out in a laundry room.
The Willmar Fire Department, Willmar Police Department and Willmar Ambulance Service were called shortly after 7:30 a.m. Tuesday to a home in the 900 block of Olaf Avenue Northwest, where a clothes dryer reportedly was on fire.
Fire Chief Frank Hanson said firefighters arrived at the scene to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the laundry room of the single-family home.
Crews attacked the fire through windows and an outside doorway, Hanson said.
A main concern was the exposure of firefighters to live wires, prompting the utilities to be shut off for safety reasons, he said.
The fire was contained within about 45 minutes. Fire damage was confined to the laundry room and kitchen area. Other areas of the house sustained minor smoke damage.
Several pets were rescued by firefighters and returned to the owner unharmed, Hanson said.
No other injuries were reported. The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical. Crews were on the scene until about 9:30 a.m.
Assistance was provided by the Willmar Ambulance Service, Willmar Police Department and Willmar Municipal Utilities. The Spicer Fire Department was also requested for assistance but was canceled prior to arrival.