Weather Forecast


Man found dead at Eelpout Festival died of carbon monoxide poisoning


WALKER, Minn. -- A Bemidji man found dead at the International Eelpout Festival on Feb. 25 died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Cass County Sheriff’s Office released the cause of 21-year-old Sam Schooley’s death Wednesday, March 7,  more than a week after Schooley’s body was found in a fish house on Leech Lake.

According to the news release, authorities received a report of an unresponsive male in the fish house at about 8:52 a.m. on Sunday, Feb. 25, the last day of the festival. Schooley was taken to a hospital in Park Rapids, where he was pronounced dead.

The autopsy was completed by the Ramsey County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Forum News Service

The Forum Communications News Service is the premier news wire service covering the Upper Midwest, including the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin. In addition to breaking and enterprise news, we offer a wide variety of sports, features, business, agriculture, outdoors and opinion content. For more information about the services we offer or to discuss content subscriptions, please contact us.