Weather Forecast


35 fishermen rescued from ice on Lake Superior

Fishermen wait to be rescued from ice on Superior Bay on Saturday, Dec. 1. Nearly three-dozen fishermen were rescued after the ice they were on broke away from Park Point. Photo courtesy of Larry Stauty1 / 2
Tracks left by fishermen walking onto Superior Bay from Park Point end at open water on Saturday afternoon. Earlier in the day emergency responders rescued 35 fisherman from the ice after it broke away from Park Point. Steve Kuchera / Forum News SErvice2 / 2

DULUTH — Nearly three-dozen fishermen were rescued from an ice floe on Superior Bay Saturday Morning, Dec. 1.

According to the Duluth Fire Department, 36 fishermen and their equipment were stranded on the ice around 10:40 a.m. when strong northeast winds caused the ice to break away from Park Point.

Retired Vista Fleet Capt. Tom Mackay has been a resident of Park Point for nearly 75 years. He said Saturday’s weather resulted in a seiche, which is when the wind is so strong it pushes water to one end of a large body of water, causing levels to rise. Since the ice on Superior Bay wasn’t locked in to the shore, it came loose and floated out into the bay.

Because the channel is kept open for tugs and ships, ice sheets can move more freely as well, Mackay added.

“That’s basically what happened,” he said.

Emergency responders from several agencies first responded to the area near the Duluth Rowing Club. But the scope of rescue operations grew as officials realized there were groups of fisherman stranded between the rowing club and Sky Harbor Airport, DFD Acting Assistant Chief Mark Herman said.

Rescuers paddle two DFD and one U.S. Coast Guard rapid deployment craft to the ice. With ropes fixed to each end of the inflatable boats rescuers pulled fishmen on crafts from the ice to shore.

Rescuers also used a boat and ladder to bring 35 fishermen ashore. One fisherman reached shore on his own.

The fishermen near the rowing club were several hundred yards from shore when the ice cracked, while the fishermen near the airport were much closer to shore.

Herman estimated all the fishermen were off the ice within an hour. It took longer to remove all of the fishing gear.

“We didn’t want to leave their gear because they might might be tempted to try to retrieve it,” he said.

Firefighters estimate that the ice the fishermen were on was about 12 inches thick. But Herman cautioned that the ice is always changing, especially now with ice breaking and shipping still active in the harbor.

“This happens every year,” he said. “The ice is always changing, always dangerous. When you’re out there you’re taking your life into your hands. Fortunately, everything worked out well today.”

Using an air boat, the St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office Rescue Squad conducted a final sweep of the bay side of Park Point to confirm that no one was left on the ice.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and Gold Cross Ambulance also took part in the rescue.

Forum News Service

The Forum Communications News Service is the premier news wire service covering the Upper Midwest, including the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin. In addition to breaking and enterprise news, we offer a wide variety of sports, features, business, agriculture, outdoors and opinion content. For more information about the services we offer or to discuss content subscriptions, please contact us.