Charges dismissed against Montevideo man about to go on trial
Ja'Cory McCalpin was about to go on trial Sept. 22 for two charges of criminal sexual assault. Prosecutors dismissed the charges Sept. 21.
MONTEVIDEO — Charges have been dismissed against a man who had been accused of molesting a young girl in her Montevideo home.
A jury trial for Ja’Cory Dante McCalpin, 37, of Montevideo, had been scheduled to begin Sept. 22 in Chippewa County District Court.
On Sept. 21, the Chippewa County Attorney’s Office filed a dismissal of the charges. The document says the dismissal was at prosecutorial discretion and the county is “unable to meet the burden of proof at trial at this time.”
McCalpin had faced two charges of first-degree criminal sexual conduct.
McCalpin was charged in February after an investigation into allegations an elementary school student made against him. She reportedly told a teacher that a man staying at her home had touched her sexually and molested her twice in December 2019.