DNR seeks comments on Marsh Lake ecosystem restoration project
APPLETON--The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is accepting public comments on an environmental assessment worksheet prepared for the Marsh Lake Ecosystem Restoration Project, which would restore aquatic and riparian ecosystems. The prop...
APPLETON-The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is accepting public comments on an environmental assessment worksheet prepared for the Marsh Lake Ecosystem Restoration Project, which would restore aquatic and riparian ecosystems.
The proposed restoration area is along the Minnesota River and within the Lac qui Parle Wildlife Management Area boundary in western Minnesota. The project includes construction of a rock-ramp fishway, a water control/drawdown structure, a new dam access road and embankment features, restoration of the Pomme de Terre River to its historic channel, additional parking areas and a location where soils will be borrowed and restored. Modifications to the existing dam structure would provide more natural variability in water levels and also provide habitat connectivity through the rock-ramp fishway.
The Marsh Lake project is a cooperative effort of the DNR, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Upper Minnesota River Watershed District.
A copy of the document is available online at www.dnr.state.mn.us/input/index.html . Under "environmental review," select "Marsh Lake Ecosystem Restoration Project EAW" from the scroll-down list. A hard copy may be requested by calling 651-259-5072.
The document is available for public review at:
• DNR library, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, 55155.
• Hennepin County Library-Minneapolis Central Library, Government Documents, 2nd Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, 55401.
• DNR south regional office, 21371 State Highway 15 South, New Ulm, 56073.
• DNR Lac qui Parle Wildlife Management Area (WMA) and State Park Office, 14047 20th St. NW, Watson, 56295.
• DNR Ortonville area fisheries office, 890 Pine St., Ortonville, 56278.
• Montevideo-Chippewa County Library (Region 6W Regional Library) and Montevideo Public Library, 224 South First St., Montevideo, 56265.
• Benson Public Library, 200 Thirteenth St. North, Benson, 56215.
• Madison Public Library,401 Sixth Ave., Madison, 56256.
• Ortonville City Public Library,412 Second St. NW, Ortonville, 56278.
• Appleton Public Library, 323 West Schlieman Ave., No. 1, Appleton, 56208.
The environmental assessment worksheet notice will be published in the July 11 EQB monitor. Written comments must be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 10, to the attention of Charlotte Cohn, environmental assessment worksheet project manager, Environmental Policy and Review Unit, Ecological and Water Resources Division, DNR, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4025.
Electronic or email comments may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Marsh Lake Ecosystem Restoration" in the subject line. If submitting comments electronically, include name and mailing address. Written comments may also be faxed to 651-296-1811.