MADISON — The victim of an Oct. 23 house fire in Madison died of smoke inhalation.

Results from an autopsy showed that smoke inhalation was the cause of death for Kenneth Allan Muehlbauer, 62, according to the Lac qui Parle Sheriff’s Office.

He was found dead at the scene of a house fire on the morning of Oct. 23. An adult female who lived at the residence was treated and released from the Madison Hospital for smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental. It remains under investigation by the Minnesota Fire Marshal’s Office along with the Sheriff’s Office.

The fire was reported at 10:49 a.m. Oct. 23 on the 600 block of Fifth Avenue, and the Madison Fire Department and Madison Ambulance responded. They were assisted by the Dawson and Bellingham Fire Departments and Dawson Ambulance.