Lightning starts South Haven barn fire
SOUTH HAVEN -- Firefighters from four departments were called around 6 p.m. Wednesday to a barn fire caused by lightning at a rural South Haven residence.
SOUTH HAVEN - Firefighters from four departments were called around 6 p.m. Wednesday to a barn fire caused by lightning at a rural South Haven residence.
According to the Meeker County Sheriff’s Office, the fire at the Dale and Linda Atkinson residence at 31252 733rd Ave. was reported by multiple parties, including a neighbor. Neither of the owners were at home at the time.
The Dassel, Litchfield, Kimball and Cokato fire crews, and linemen from Meeker Co-op Light and Power Association, responded to the blaze. The fire claimed a 32-by-60-foot barn used to store antiques and household items, plus an attached shed, another shed and a chicken coop. About 50 young laying hens were caught in the fire.
The barn was insured and the loss was estimated at more than $200,000 including the buildings and contents.
Lindberg Excavating, of Cokato, was called to assist in spreading the rubble, to extinguish hot spots in the debris.