Celebration of 125th anniversary set Aug. 14 at Maynard Lutheran Church in western Minnesota
An event to celebrate the 125th anniversary of Maynard Lutheran Church will be Aug. 14 at the church.
MAYNARD — The Maynard Lutheran Church's 125th Anniversary celebration will be Sunday, Aug. 14.
The 10 a.m. service will be followed by a ham dinner served by Budger's Dinner House at the Maynard Event Center. Reservations required by Monday, Aug. 8; email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 320-367-2465 . Dinner is $11 per person, payable at the door.
There will be anniversary cake and coffee served at 2 p.m. at the Event Center.
The church will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for visiting.
You can follow the Facebook page under Maynard Lutheran Church 125th Anniversary.
According to a booklet prepared for the celebration, the history of Maynard Lutheran Church began in 1891, after a few Scandinavian people settled in the area. A desire and a need for a church with regular services was important to them. They had been holding worship in a little schoolhouse north of Maynard and at times in the carpenter shop owned by Christ Gjevre.
On July 21, 1897, it was requested that the Lutheran Church organize. This congregation was officially organized and its constitution was adopted in the carpenter shop on Aug. 15, 1897.
According to the history booklet, it was decided to build a church on the highest point north of the Edward Erlandson home. The lot cost $50 and the building began in the spring of 1899. Volunteers hauled rocks to build the foundation.
Pews were purchased in 1901 by the Ladies Aid and the church basement was built in 1913.
In 1927, the church basement was enlarged by splitting the church in two and the back section moved back 18 feet to make a new addition and the church interior was completely renovated.
In 1940, Herman Gustafson redecorated the church. On Sept. 4, 1940, Mrs. M. B. Ericksen died, and to honor her memory, an altar painting “The Good Shepherd” was given to the church by various organizations.
During 1963, a new Parish Hall was adjoined to the church. This addition had classrooms, a pastor’s study and a large dining/fellowship hall.
In 1975, a new narthex and balcony were added to the front of the church.
Over the years there has been extensive interior and exterior work done with new stained glass windows and a lift added to make the church handicap accessible. A donation of a lighted cross was given in memory of Robert Bang by his family.