First Presbyterian in Maynard, Minnesota, to celebrate 125th anniversary Sunday
First Presbyterian Church in Maynard is celebrating 125 years as a congregation with a special worship service Sunday, Sept. 11, followed by a catered meal.
MAYNARD — First Presbyterian Church in Maynard is celebrating the milestone of 125 years as a congregation.
We are holding a special anniversary church worship service on Sept. 11. One feature of the service will be singing hymns that could have been sung by members gathered years ago on the Sabbath including: "Awakening Chorus" (1905), "Blessed Assurance" (1873) and "The Church's One Foundation" (1866).
Following the service, members and friends will gather for a catered meal at the Maynard Community Center. Former members and friends will have the opportunity to visit, share stories and look at pictures from the past. At this time, a group photo will be taken. For questions or more information, call Nancy at 320-250-9199 .
First Presbyterian Church in Maynard began as a Sunday School in 1894. In 1897, the church was organized with only 11 members.
The Rev. Thomas Scottens was the organizing pastor and the 11 members were: Ada Peterson, Mary Barager, Sophia Dewey, Libbie Habstritt, Elbert and Mary Laidlaw, Hattie Fish, Nels and Ellen Norberg and their children, Willard and Jenny.
In 1931, the church elected the first woman elder, Mary Thompson. Among the earliest families, now deceased are, William Thompson, A.W. Carpenter, Charles Schaller, David Underwood, William Harris, David Harting, Harold (Pete) Coulter and A.C. Martenson.
Our early history began with a petition sent to the St. Cloud Presbytery of interest in starting a church. On June 14, 1901, the church bought property for $1 from the Spicer Land Company. (The town is named for John Spicer's son, Maynard.)
On May 21, 1902, the church borrowed $600 from Presbytery for lumber, with the mortgaged property belonging to Presbytery.
On April 10, 1917, remodeling and enlargement of the Presbyterian church was begun. There was also a time that the church was "turned around."
In the early years, the minister served the churches of Clara City and Maynard. In 1908, the Presbyterian Church left the Clara City church and became self supporting.
In 1923, the churches in Kerkhoven and Maynard decided to have an association that lasted until 1964. In that year, the congregation in Maynard felt Kerkhoven was too great a distance to travel and decided to associate with the United Church of Christ in Granite Falls. That association ended when the Granite Falls church felt they could support their own minister.
Maynard then re-established their relationship with the Kerkhoven church.
The church was remodeled again in 1954.
The church has been served by 18 ministers and three stated supply ministers. The minister at the present time is the Rev. Beverly Crute, Ph.D.