League of Women Voters of the Willmar Area sets election candidate forums
The League of Women Voters of the Willmar Area plans several 2022 election candidate forums over the next few weeks.
WILLMAR — Next week begins a series of 2022 election candidate forums conducted by the League of Women Voters of the Willmar Area.
Forums are planned in New London, Spicer and Willmar, but according to the announcement from the League of Women Voters, no audience will be present due to COVID-19 concerns.
Questions from the public may be emailed in advance to
. The forums will be shown live on WRAC-8 and also may be streamed on the Facebook page of the
League of Women Voters of the Willmar Area
- A forum for New London-Spicer School Board candidates is planned from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 28, in New London. According to the Minnesota Secretary of State candidate filing page , there are four seats to be decided and five candidates filed: Del Brouwer, Darryl Nelson, Laura Nelson, Trish Perry and Mark Peterson.
- The Spicer mayor candidates are invited to a one-hour forum at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 5, in Spicer. Dennis “Denny” Baker and Jesse Gislason have filed for mayor.
- A one-hour forum for candidates of the Spicer City Council will follow immediately after the Spicer mayor forum, starting at 7:35 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 5. Two seats are to be decided and three filed for office: Troy S. Block, Zachary Larson and Shelly Munyon.
- Forums slated Thursday, Oct. 6, in Willmar will feature candidates for Kandiyohi County offices. A forum is set at 5 p.m. for the Kandiyohi County sheriff’s race between Eric Holien and Eric Tollefson.
- Kandiyohi County Commissioner District 3 will be featured at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 6. Candidates on the November ballot are Dale Anderson and Kim Larson.
- Candidates for Minnesota Senate District 16 and House District 16B have been invited to participate in one-hour forums on Tuesday, Oct. 11, in Willmar. Senate candidates will be featured at a 5 p.m. forum. Andrew Lang and Fernando Alvarado are seeking the office.
- Dave Baker and Fred Cogelow are seeking the House 16B seat. That race will be featured at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 11.
- A one-hour forum is slated at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 12, in New London for City Council candidates in that city. According to the Minnesota Secretary of State's office, three people have filed for two seats: Erik Hatlestad, Tim Johnson and Heidi Manson.
- The final forums on the schedule are Thursday, Oct. 13, in Willmar. From 4:45 to 6:15 p.m., candidates for the Willmar School Board are invited to participate. Three seats are to be decided. Five candidates filed for office: Mary Amon, Steve Biesterfeld, Randy Frederickson, Jay Lawton and Laura Weatherby.
- Candidates for Willmar mayor will be featured at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 13. Steve Peppin and Doug Reese are on the ballot in November.