Man wanted in Fargo manslaughter case arrested in St. Paul, police say
Roberto Cardenas Garcia is accused of killing Cirilo Sustaita Contreras, whose body was found last month in downtown Fargo.
FARGO — A man accused of killing another last month in downtown Fargo has been arrested in St. Paul, the Fargo Police Department said Wednesday, Sept. 14, in a news release.
The North Star Fugitive Task Force that is headed by the U.S. Marshals Service in Minneapolis took 58-year-old Roberto Cardenas Garcia into custody on Wednesday, the release said.
He is being held at the Ramsey County Jail in St. Paul while he awaits extradition to Fargo.
Garcia is wanted on manslaughter and aggravated assault charges in connection to the Aug. 13 death of 53-year-old Cirilo Sustaita Contreras. It’s unclear how the men knew each other and what Garcia allegedly did that resulted in Contreras’ death.
Police found Contreras’ body on Aug. 14 in the 50 block of North Broadway.
Court documents that detail what happened are expected to be released once Garcia appears in Cass County District Court. It’s unknown when he will be extradited back to Fargo.
Garcia has a history of violence in his criminal history. He was charged in 1991 in Polk County, Minnesota, with attempted murder and three counts of assault.
Court documents weren’t available in connection to that case, but he was convicted of first-degree assault. The attempted murder charge and other assault counts were dismissed. He was sentenced to two months behind bars.