Willmar firefighters assisted by neighboring departments as they battle garage, house fire in subzero temps Sunday
The Willmar Fire Department called in aid from neighboring departments due to the cold temperatures to battle a garage fire that spread to the adjoining house Sunday.
WILLMAR — The Willmar Fire Department called in aid from neighboring departments due to subzero temperatures when firefighters responded at 10:18 a.m. Sunday to a report of a garage fire that spread to the adjoining house on the 600 block of Ninth Street Southeast.
Everyone had safely exited the house, according to Willmar Fire Chief Frank Hanson.
The first fire officers reaching the scene reported heavy black smoke and fire coming from the garage doors. The garage was fully engulfed in flames, according to a news release from the chief.
The fire spread quickly from the garage to the adjoining house. Fire crews remained on the scene until approximately 3:15 p.m. Sunday.
The garage and its contents are a total loss. The house and its contents were damaged by smoke and water, and there was some fire damage as well.
Firefighters with the Blomkest, Kandiyohi, Spicer and New London fire departments assisted. The Kandiyohi County Rescue Squad assisted with air supply. CentraCare Emergency Medical Service responded to the initial call in case of injuries.
A portable heater that had been placed too close to some furniture in the garage was determined to be the cause of the fire, according to the chief, who is also the city fire marshal.
Also assisting at the scene were the Wilmar Police Department, Willmar Public Works and Willmar Municipal Utilities.