Willmar Kiwanis honors Anderson with Touch A Life Award
WILLMAR -- Robert E. Anderson of Willmar has received the 39th Willmar Kiwanis Touch A Life Award. Anderson, a graduate of Mankato State University, is an educator. He taught industrial arts/technology at Willmar Senior High School for over 30 years.
WILLMAR - Robert E. Anderson of Willmar has received the 39th Willmar Kiwanis Touch A Life Award.
Anderson, a graduate of Mankato State University, is an educator. He taught industrial arts/technology at Willmar Senior High School for over 30 years. He coached industrial technology teams that competed at the state level. He coached the swimming team for several years and was the advisor to the Willmar Senior High School Key Club for over 10 years.
The Touch-A-Life Award is given in recognition of Bob's community
service, particularly the following:
● Participated in the task force that evaluated alternatives for alleviating the homelessness in Willmar and the surrounding area, leading to the Family Promise approach for our community.
● Helped bring the idea of the Family Promise program to the congregation of the First Presbyterian Church in Willmar, who eventually voted to provide space for the home office and Day Center of Family Promise. He coordinated the "rebuild" of the top floor of the church's education wing to accommodate Family Promise.
● Serves his local church as an elder, and has served as a Sunday School teacher and an adviser on several youth mission trips. Helped plan and participated in several church mission trips to aid recovery from natural disasters such as Hurricane Rita.
● For 16 years, participated as a part of the mounted security patrol at the Minnesota State Fair.
● Designed and built a train of seven wooden hobby horses on wheels to be pulled by a small tractor; these have delighted children and spectators at several local parades.
● Designed, built and installed rustic display cases in the Old Settlers Cabin at the Kandiyohi County Fairgrounds.
Anderson and his wife, Diann, have been married for 54 years and have three children and seven grandchildren.