WILLMAR — Minnesota reported 5,704 new confirmed and probable COVID-19 cases on Friday, and 101 deaths. The Minnesota Department of Health report for Friday reflects numbers available from Wednesday.
The 11 counties in west central Minnesota tracked by the West Central Tribune reported more than 500 newly confirmed cases and 15 deaths. There were eight newly reported deaths in Stearns County. Renville County experienced three deaths, while Swift County reported two deaths and Big Stone and Pope counties each reported one.
Stearns County reported the deaths of two persons each in the 75-79, 85-89 and 90-94 age categories; and one person age 70-74 and one age 80-84.
RELATED: See CORONAVIRUS
The three Renville County deaths were individuals ages 70-74, 75-79 and 85-89. Swift County reported the deaths of two people ages 85-89. Pope County experienced the death of a person 90-94 years old and Big Stone County the death of a person 85-89.
Stearns County had the highest number of new cases in the area with 314 newly confirmed and six new probable cases in the Friday report. Kandiyohi County reported 44 confirmed cases and one probable; Redwood County had 39 newly confirmed cases; Meeker County had 33 confirmed cases; Renville County had 18 confirmed cases; Yellow Medicine County had 22 confirmed; Lac qui Parle County had 13 confirmed; Big Stone County had 12 confirmed; Swift County had nine confirmed; Chippewa County had 11 confirmed; and Pope County had nine confirmed cases.
RELATED: See CORONAVIRUS
Statewide there were 5,533 newly reported confirmed cases and 171 newly reported probable cases.
That brings the state's cumulative total to 295,001, which includes 289,364 confirmed and 5,637 probable cases.
Of the cumulative number of cases, 21,846 of them are health care workers.
The Minnesota Department of Health provides a breakdown of how many cases are classified as “confirmed” through polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing and how many cases are deemed “probable” through antigen testing.
There were 101 additional deaths statewide attributed to COVID-19, for a current total of 3,410 deaths from confirmed cases and 66 from probable cases.
Most of the deaths, 2,355, have occurred in long-term care or assisted living facilities, and 2,853 of the people who have died were 70 or older.
Each Friday, the state reports the congregate care facilities which have had an exposure to a case of COVID-19 in a resident, staff member or visitor.
Area facilities on the list this week:
- Essentia Health Grace Home, Fairway View and Grace Village in Big Stone County;
- Avera Granite Falls Care Center, Brookside Senior Living and Luther Haven in Chippewa County;
- Bethesda Grand, Carris Health Care Center & Therapy Suites, Copperleaf Senior Living, GlenOaks Senior Living Campus, GlenOaks Senior Living Campus Assisted Living and Sunrise Village in Kandiyohi County;
- Johnson Memorial Health Services Care Center and Madison Healthcare Services Care Center in Lac qui Parle County;
- Augustana Care Lakeside Campus, Ecumen of Litchfield Assisted Living, Garden View at Hilltop, Hilltop Health Care Center and Meeker Manor Rehab Center LLC in Meeker County;
- Glacial Trails Memory Care, Glenwood Village Care Center, Holly Ridge Manor by Minnewaska Community Health Services and Minnewaska Lutheran Home in Pope County;
- Gil-Mor Manor, Parkview Home, Serenity Suites Senior Living, Valley View Manor and Vista Prairie at Garnette Gardens in Redwood County;
- Buffalo Lake Healthcare Center, Fairfax Community Home, Franklin Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, Meadows on Main, Prairie View Assisted Living and RenVilla Health Center in Renville County;
- Arlington Place, Assumption Court, Assumption Home, Belgrade Nursing Home, CentraCare - Chateau Waters, CentraCare Health Paynesville, CentraCare Health Sauk Centre, CentraCare Melrose, CentraCare Melrose Park View Place, Cherrywood Advanced Living, Edgewood Sartell, Fairway Pines Senior Living, Getty Street Assisted Living, Mother of Mercy Senior Living, Saint John's Abbey, Savanna Prairie Assisted Living, Serenity Place on 7th, Serenity Village at Avon, Skylight Gardens, St. Benedicts Senior Community Therapy Suites, St. Cloud VA - Community Living Center, Stearns Place, Sterling Park Gardens, Sterling Park Health Care Center, The Sanctuary at St. Cloud, Tree of Life Assisted Living, Washburne Court and Woodcrest of Country Manor in Stearns County;
- Apple Ridge Assisted Living, Appleton Area Health Care Center, Meadow Lane Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center and Scandi Haven Village in Swift County;
- Clarkfield Care Center and Sanford Health Sylvan Court in Yellow Medicine County.
So far in Minnesota, there have been approximately 4,012,524 completed tests, including 3,922,136 PCR tests and 90,388 antigen tests. And approximately 2,420,584 people have been tested since Jan. 20.
The information was included in the latest Minnesota Department of Health daily situation update, released at 11 a.m. daily. The data released are current as of 4 p.m. the day before.
The current number of COVID-19 cases among residents confirmed to reside in area counties includes:
- Big Stone County: 295; 1 probable
- Chippewa County: 811; 4 probable
- Kandiyohi County: 3,761; 26 probable
- Lac qui Parle County: 348; 3 probable
- Meeker County: 1,156; 7 probable
- Pope County: 505; 2 probable
- Redwood County: 867; 8 probable
- Renville County: 733; 40 probable
- Stearns County: 12,941; 304 probable
- Swift County: 536; 8 probable
- Yellow Medicine County: 592; 23 probable
(County of residence is confirmed during the case interview. The county residence data may not equal the total number of reported positive cases in a given day.)
As a public service, we’ve opened this article to everyone regardless of subscription status. If this coverage is important to you, please consider supporting local journalism by clicking on the subscribe button in the upper right-hand corner of the homepage.