WILLMAR — And now there are 16.
The Willmar Stingers have announced the signing of teammates from Miami University in Ohio for the 2021 Northwoods League season.
Junior right-hander Jacob Webb returns after pitching for the Stingers in 2020. His Miami U teammate, redshirt freshman outfielder Benji Brokemond, will join Webb in Willmar this season.
The announcement of Webb and Brokemond brings the number of committed players coming to Willmar to 16.
“We are excited to continue our relationship with the RedHawks program and assistant coach Matt Passauer,” said Stingers co-owner Ryan Voz. “Having spent time on our coaching staff, Matt knows what caliber of players will do well in the Northwoods League, both on and off the field.”
Webb struck out 34 in 29 innings in 2020 for Willmar. In his first two seasons with Miami, he has struck out 32 in 25-1/3 innings. He’s from Fairborn, Ohio.
Brokemond is from South Holland, Illinois. He’s reported to be an excellent defensive player who batted .517 with three home runs, 20 RBI and 10 stolen bases at Brother Rich High School in 2019.
2 Willmar athletes
honored by CLC
Willmar Nordic skiers Andrew Garcia and Elizabeth Haugen have been named Central Lakes Conference performers of the week.
Garcia is a ninth-grader who took first in the 5-kilometer junior varsity race in Brainerd. Haugen, an eighth-grader, won the girls’ JV division in the 5K at Brainerd.
Also being named CLC performers of the week were:
* From Fergus Falls, sophomore hockey player Isaac Johnson;
* From St. Cloud’s hockey programs, junior Ben Condon and girls’ hockey player Kat Bell;
* From Sartell/Sauk Rapids girls hockey, goalie Morgan Dorn, a ninth-grader;
* From Bemidji boys basketball, Gavin Luksik;
* From St. Cloud Apollo girls basketball, Keiara Anderson;
* From Alexandria girls basketball, Lilly Horn;
* From Sartell boys swimming; Carter Larson;
* From St. Cloud Tech/Cathedral/Rocori diving, Braden Lemke;
* From Brainerd gymnastics, Maddy Sedlachek;
* And from Sartell wrestling, Spencer Johnson.