Boys Tennis: Litchfield falls short in bid for state tournament
NEW LONDON -- Despite the below normal temperatures, Foley captured the Section 6A championship on Monday, defeating Litchfield 5-2 in the title match at New London-Spicer High School.
NEW LONDON - Despite the below normal temperatures, Foley captured the Section 6A championship on Monday, defeating Litchfield 5-2 in the title match at New London-Spicer High School.
It’s the second straight year Foley won the section title. The Falcons open the Class A State Tournament on June 2 against the Section 1 champion at the Reed-Sweatt Family Tennis Center in Minneapolis.
The Falcons were the state consolation champions last year.
Foley’s Zach Kantor defeated Josh Prahl 6-4, 6-2 at 1-singles as the Falcons secured points in the first three singles matches against Litchfield. Trevor Meyer at No. 4 won the lone singles match for Litchfield, upending Matthew Bollin 6-1, 6-3.
Meyer won both of his matches on the day as Litchfield reached the final after beating St. Cloud Cathedral 5-2 in the semifinals.
Foley picked up two out of three doubles points with wins at No. 1 and No. 3. The Dragons’ Jon Green and Zach Kaiser defeated Adam Ritsche and Alex Boeckman 6-3, 2-6, 7-5 at 2-doubles.
In the semifinals, Litchfield lost the first two singles matches to the Crusaders, but it bounced back to win the remaining five matches.
All of the five wins against the Crusaders came in straight sets, including Jordan Green and Matthew Wedin’s 6-1, 6-0 victory at 3-doubles.
Also posting wins for the Dragons were Jared Pedersen at 3-singles, Meyer at 4-singles, Cody Rau and Jon Madsen at 1-doubles and Jon Green and Kaiser at 2-doubles.
Foley didn’t lose a set en route to shutting out Benson 7-0 in its semifinal to advance to the final.
Foley 5, Litchfield 2
(1) Zach Kantor, F, def. Josh Prahl 6-4, 6-2 (2) Logan Herbst, F, def. Ben Haugo 6-4, 6-1 (3) Jordan Ziwicki, F, def. Jared Pedersen 6-1, 6-2 (4) Trevor Meyer, L, def. Matthew Bollin 6-1, 6-3
(1) Dalton Werckman/Logan Scott, F, def. Jon Madsen/Cody Rau 6-4, 6-1 (2) Jon Green/Zach Kaiser, L, def. Adam Ritsche/Alex Boeckman 6-3, 2-6, 7-5 (3) Connor Scott/Mitchell Wruck, F, def. Matt Wedin, Jordan Green 6-2, 6-3
Litchfield 5, SC Cathedral 2
(1) Nathan Stracke, S, def. Josh Prahl 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (7-3) (2) Alec Ferris, S, def. Ben Haugo 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 (3) Jared Pedersen, L, def. Paul Decker 7-6 (7-2), 6-0 (4) Trevor Meyer, L, def. McRay Drong 6-4, 6-4
(1) Cody Rau/Jon Madsen, L, def. Eli Stark-Haws/David Reisdorf 6-1, 6-1 (2) Jon Green/Zach Kaiser, L, def. Ryan Ferris/Losha Schreifels 6-4, 6-2 (3) Jordan Green/Matthew Wedin, L, def. Brad Reuter/Robbie Jandik 6-1, 6-0
Foley 7, Benson 0
(1) Zach Kantor, F, def. Aaron Szczur 6-2, 6-4 (2) Logan Herbst, F, def. Tyler Bergman 6-1, 6-0 (3) Jordan Ziwicki, F, def. Eric Hoium 6-1, 6-2 (4) Matthew Bollin, F, def. Luis Machado 6-2, 6-2
(1) Dalton Werckman/Bradley Berens, F, def. Logan Scott/Kyle Ruppert 6-3, 6-1 (2) Adam Ritsche/Dylan McNeill, F, def. Alex Boeckman/Nate Habben 6-3, 6-2 (3) Connor Scott/Kevin Johnson, F, def. Mitchell Wruck/Josh Clark 7-5, 6-0