After 40 years at NBC, Bob Costas negotiating his exit, report says
After nearly 40 years at NBC, Bob Costas is ready to leave the network.
According to USA Today, Costas and his representatives have discussed with NBC a release from his contract, which runs through 2021. While NBC declined to comment, Costas discussed his situation with the newspaper on Tuesday.
"There was a very long period of time when NBC's programming suited my interests and abilities very well, from (late-night talk show) 'Later,' to the news magazines, to baseball, the NBA and the Olympics," Costas said. "And after deciding on my own to leave the Olympics after having done a dozen of them, you just look around and say, ‘What was once a perfect fit no longer fits that description.'"
Costas joined NBC in 1979 and has worked as the lead announcer at the Super Bowl, World Series and Olympics. Mike Tirico has emerged as the face of NBC Sports in the last year as Costas has stepped back from event coverage. He has been on the air for major news events related to sports or sports personalities, including the death of Muhammad Ali.
The New York Post, which broke the news of the talks between the two sides, reported the 66-year-old Costas is more interested in a show that includes interviews with newsmakers and commentaries that could go beyond sports. He declined to discuss his plans.
Costas is a winner of multiple Emmy and National Sportcaster of the Year awards. He received the Ford C. Frick Award from the Baseball Hall of Fame in July.