Prep Sports: Willmar recognizes past greats for homecoming
Seven new inductees into Cardinal Pride Hall of Fame honored this week
WILLMAR — The Cardinal Pride Hall of Fame celebrates its 20th year with a seven-member induction combining 2020-21 as there was no ceremony in 2020 due to COVID-19.
Induction events are Friday during the Willmar Cardinal Homecoming.
The inductees are athletes Allison Adamson (Class of 2003), Kevin Fladeboe (1974) Carrie (Jacobson) Motschenbacher (1996), Dan Johnson (1988), Paul Schendel (1971), Alissa Tinklenberg (2010) and community member the late Dr. Austin McCarthy.
All of their accomplishments were reported on Jan. 2, 2021 in the West Central Tribune.
Here is a look at the inductees:
Alison (Adamson) Ovenden
• 11-Time Letter Winner – Soccer (3), Basketball (4), Softball (4)
• Softball – Senior Year Team Captain, All-State, All-State Tourney, All-Star Team Selection
• Basketball – 3-Time Offensive MVP; Team Captain Senior Year
• 6-Time All-Conference in Basketball (3) and Softball (3)
• ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America First Team 2006-2007 (Augustana University)
Carrie (Jacobson) Motschenbacher
• 5-Time All-Conference and All-Area in Volleyball (3), Basketball (2)
• Career Total 1,142 points in Basketball; Career Total 300 Ace Blocks in Volleyball
• Hengstler-Ranweiler Award Winner & KSAX Female Athlete of the Year 1996
• North Dakota State University Hall of Fame Class of 2017; 3-Time AVCA Division II All-America First Team in Volleyball
• Played 1 Year of Professional Volleyball in Evreux, France
• 7-Time Letter Winner – Football (2), Hockey (3), Baseball (2)
• All-Conference, All-State, All-Area in Football and Baseball
• Hit Home Run at Metrodome in State Semi-Final win for 1987 State Championship Baseball Team
• All-State on teams selected by Star Tribune, Pioneer Press, WCCO, and AP; West Central All-Area Team of the Decade 1980’s
• JUCO All-American in Football 1989 and Baseball 1990 (Willmar Community College)
• 4-Time Letter Winner in Wrestling on Cardinal Teams 45-17-1 over years in dual meets
• 3-Time All-Conference in Wrestling; Finished Second Region 5 to reach State
• District 20 Champion Sophomore and Senior Year
• Won 1973 State Tournament at 138 pounds
• Willmar’s First State High School League Title won by an Individual or Team
Dr. Austin Michael McCarthy
• Volunteer Doctor for Willmar Home Athletic Events for 40 years
• Conducted free physicals for all athletes so participation was possible
• Member of MSHSL Medical Advisory Board – instrumental in initiatives for face masks in hockey, weight loss regulations in wrestling, and eliminating trampolines in schools
• Willmar’s first resident trained surgeon; formed the original Willmar Clinic (ACMC) and developed Orthopedic Department
• President of Great Northern Surgeons Group; Recipient of the University of Minnesota Medical School Richard S. Diehl Outstanding Alumni Achievement Award & St. John’s University 2008 Alumni Achievement Award
• 7-Time Letter Winner in Cross Country (1), Football (1), Basketball (2), Track (3)
• High School Mile 4:20.6 and 5th Place at the Minnesota State Track Meet 1971
• 4.11 Mile and 8.59 2-Mile (St. Olaf College)
• University of Minnesota Medical School (1979), Nephrology Fellowship, Critical Care Medicine Fellowship
• Chair Department Nephrology York Hospital, York, Pennsylvania (1998-2018)
• 19-Time State Medal Winner (top 8 finish)
• 7 Swimming Team Records (4 individual, 3 relays)
• 19-Time All-Conference Performer
• 18 Top 3 Finishes at Sections Meet
• 6-Time Letter Winner in Swimming
Here is the schedule for the Cardinal Pride Hall of Fame induction ceremonies:
KWLM Open Mic with Todd Bergeth, 10 a.m.
Plaque unveiling at high school, 11 a.m.
Banquet at Willmar Conference Center, 4 p.m. (Due to limited seating, invitation only).
Meet the inductees and families social hour in a tent at the north end Hodapp Field starting at 5:30 p.m.
Kickoff at 7 p.m. The Cardinals (2-1) host the Sartell Sabres (1-3).
Halftime: The inductees will be introduced on the field.