WILLMAR — With Willmar and Rocori splitting singles play, Thursday’s Central Lakes Conference match was going to be settled in doubles.
And with No. 1 and 2 doubles also being split, No. 3 doubles was the deciding match. With the way things went on Thursday, No. 3 doubles naturally went three sets.
Ultimately, the Cardinals’ duo of Abby Stauffenecker and Mercedes Schueler rebounded from a second-set loss to win the match 6-4, 0-6, 6-2, giving their team the 4-3 victory in Willmar’s home finale.
Rebecca Laurence and Caroline Becker also got a doubles win for the Cardinals, taking the No. 2 spot 6-0, 6-1. Alise and Ashlie Staebell brought their doubles match to three sets before Rocori’s Maggie Molitor and Andrea Eisenschenk ultimately sealed the match.
Willmar’s No. 1 and 2 singles players registered wins on Thursday. Chloe Hansen was dominant, losing just one game against Kathryn Headlee in a 6-1, 6-0 victory. Ashley Prahl also had a strong afternoon in winning No. 2 singles, 6-3, 6-2.
The Cardinals have one more conference dual meet left, traveling to Alexandria on Tuesday.
Willmar 4, Rocori 3
(1) Chloe Hansen, W, def Kathyrn Headlee 6-1 6-0 (2) Ashley Prahl, W, def Adeline Loesch 6-3 6-2 (3) Jaedyn Krippner, R, def Alyssa Morrell 6-2 6-3 (4) Katie Kaluza, R, def Allison Bruhn 6-3 6-4
(1) Maggie Molitor/Andrea Eisenschenk, R, def Alise Staebell/Ashlie Staebell 6-1 2-6 6-1 (2) Rebecca Laurence/Caroline Becker, W, def Sophie Kelly/Shelby Garding 6-0 6-1 (3) Abby Stauffenecker/Mercedes Schueler, M, def Madison Andrews/Abby Jopp 6-4 0-6 6-2
Wright County-West Tournament
With four champions and a pair of runner-ups, the Litchfield girls tennis team won the Wright County-West Conference championship Thursday in Annandale.
At No. 2 singles, Elise Bierbaum won the championship with a 6-0, 6-3 victory against New London-Spicer’s Izzy Schmiesing. Avery Stilwell and Ryanna Steinhaus were runners-up at No. 1 and 4 singles, respectively. Then in doubles, the Dragons were 3-for-3 with Neriah Lara and Vaida Behnke; Britney Prahl and Kylie Michels; and Taylor Draeger and Kelsey Ballard all coming out on top of their brackets.
For the Wildcats, along with Schmiesing, Taylor Barber and Ellie Hanson had a runner-up finish in No. 3 doubles.
Both Litchfield and NLS will now get ready for the Section 5A tournament, which is slated to start on Oct. 3. The Wildcats will have one final tune-up Tuesday at Lac qui Parle Valley/Dawson-Boyd.
How New London-Spicer fared
(1) Ava Hanson 1-1 (2) Izzy Schmiesing 1-1, runner up (3) Kamryn Quenemoen 1-1 (4) Mya Mayhew 1-1
(1) Morgan Rolighed/Ruby Parsons 1-1 (2) Ashley Templer/Megan Warner 1-1 (3) Taylor Barber/Ellie Hanson 1-1, runners-up
How Litchfield fared
(1) Avery Stilwell 1-1, runner-up (2) Elise Bierbaum 2-0, champion (3) Alyssa Ross 1-1 (4) Ryanna Steinhaus 1-1, runner-up
(1) Neriah Lara/Vaida Behnke 2-0, champions (2) Britney Prahl/Kylie Michels 2-0, champions (3) Taylor Draeger/Kelsey Ballard 2-0, champions
Minnewaska 7, LQPV/DB 0
Minnewaska made short work of Section 6A foe Lac qui Parle Valley/Dawson-Boyd with a 7-0 victory on Thursday.
Both teams will play in the West Central Conference championship tournament Saturday at Alexandria.
(1) Danielle Thorfinnson, M, def Anna Hacker 7-5 6-0 (2) Alissa Thorfinnson, M, def Addi Oie 6-3 6-2 (3) Karra Hanson, M, def Katelyn Wittnebel 6-1 6-2 (4) Addy Randt, M, def Madelyn Matthies 7-5 6-0
(1) Greta Reichmann/Annika Randt, M, def Jessica Sigdahl/Rachel Halvorson 6-3 6-1 (2) Maddie Thorfinnson/Olivia Richards, M, def Bree Kallhoff/Veda Maharaj 4-6 6-2 6-3 (3) Maddi Kluver/Leah Hagen, M, def Sarah Halvorson/Kylie Wendinger 4-6 6-2 6-3
Worthington 6, MACCRAY 1
The MACCRAY duo of Morgan Essendrup and Ashlyn Schmidt got the Wolverines’ only win on Thursday in a 6-1 non-conference loss to Worthington.
Essendrup and Schmidt won the first set in a 7-3 tiebreaker before dominating the second set, 6-1.
MACCRAY will play in the West Central Conference championship tournament Saturday in Alexandria.
(1) Kessey Aljets, W, def Leah Johnson 6-2 6-1 (2) Joy Jenson, W, def Haley Rhode 6-0 6-2 (3) Marah Darling, W, def Tayte Nokelby 6-1 6-3 (4) Taya Oberlon, W, def Raelee Bristle 6-1 6-0
(1) Maggie Putnam/Cynthia Sooksavath, W, def Katie Burdorf/Teagan Nokelby 6-3 7-5 (2) Morgan Essendrup/Ashlyn Schmidt, M, def Neveah Schreiber/Cindy Hernandez 7-6 (3) 6-1 (3) Kya Nickel/Chloe Bents, W, def Emma Rand/Liberty Niemeyer 6-0 6-1
Osakis 7, B/KMS 0
Osakis shut out Benson/KMS for a 7-0 victory on Thursday.
Benson/KMS will be back in action Saturday for the West Central Conference championship tournament in Alexandria.