ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

The Insider: Ex-Twin Punto expects to sit out 2015

Nick Punto is expected to sit out the 2015 season after signing a minor league contract with the Arizona Diamondbacks in January, according to a report.

Nick Punto is expected to sit out the 2015 season after signing a minor league contract with the Arizona Diamondbacks in January, according to a report.
But the 37-year-old veteran has not made a decision on retirement, FOX Sports Arizona reported Friday.
Punto batted .207 with two home runs and 14 RBIs in 2014 with the Oakland Athletics after signing a two-year deal with the team. The A’s released Punto after the season and absorbed the $2.75 million left on his contract.
In 14 major league seasons, Punto has a .245 batting average with 19 homers and 263 RBIs with the Philadelphia Phillies, Minnesota Twins, St. Louis Cardinals, Los Angeles Dodgers and A’s.
Mayweather, Pacquiao
to fight on May 2
A long-awaited fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao is set for May 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Mayweather announced the agreement on Friday when he posted online a picture of the signed contract.
The battle of welterweight champions in a title unification bout is expected to be the richest fight in boxing history, with Mayweather earning $120 million or more and Pacquiao getting around $80 million.
β€œI am glad my decision to meet with Manny and discuss making this fight happen helped get the deal done,” said Mayweather, who talked with Pacquiao on Jan. 27 at a Miami Heat game. β€œGiving the fans what they want to see is always my main focus. This will be the biggest event in the history of the sport.”
Pacquiao signed the contract on Thursday, according to Yahoo Sports. The fighters had been rumored to be a done deal for weeks with only contract deals to be worked out.
β€œI am very happy that Mayweather and I can give the fans the fight they have wanted for so many years,” Pacquiao said. β€œThey have waited long enough and they deserve it. It is an honor to be part of this historic event.
β€œI dedicate this fight to all the fans who willed this fight to happen and, as always, to bring glory to the Philippines and my fellow Filipinos around the world.”
The fight could gross around $400 million and the pay-for-view cost could reach a record-high $89.95.
- Reuters/Staff reports

What To Read Next
Get Local

ADVERTISEMENT